Constant Forward Momentum

Friday, September 14, 2012

Adjustment


I’ve learned something very interesting through out all of this. Something I am not sure I would have realized before.

With time, human beings are able to adjust.

7 months ago having to deal with crutches and boots or aircasts seemed like a nightmare. Now it just feels normal.
7 months ago having to take a cab everywhere seemed pretty terrible. Now, I don’t even think about it.
7 months ago being kept awake by my pain in my ankle was depressing and tiring. Now, it’s just how I sleep.
7 months ago my scars on my leg felt out of place and embarrassing. Now, it’s just me. My biography. 
7 months ago having to go to PT 3 times a week was a huge pain in my ass. Now, it’s a community of friends.

There’s still one thing though… Every time I walk outside with my head phones in and gym clothes on my body tells me to turn right and start jogging down towards the east river. Everytime, without fail, my body and mind thinks that’s what I’m about to do. But it’s not. Instead I remind myself that I am going to go to the gym to try and find something I can do.

Not being able to take that right turn, press play on my shuffle, and jog to the east river does not feel normal. And I hope I never adjust. 

No comments:

Post a Comment